Designing a successful Web app is a challenging task. You might have the coolest idea ever, yet, if your performance is poor, nobody’s going to use it. Sure, you’ve got web site design down to a science, but developing Web apps is a totally different thing.
When you design a Web app, you need to focus on completely different things. There’s a whole new workflow, repeat usage, new design styles, etc. You can certainly get it done, you only need to have in mind the proper procedures. And with the Designing Web Applications eBook by Nathan Barry, you’ll be armed with the appropriate knowledge to build the ultimate Web apps.
- Design for repeat use – A website is visited a few times by a single user, and perhaps more often if it has frequently updated content. A web application, however, may be visited dozens of times on a daily basis, meaning you need to focus on designing for efficiency.
- Complex Interactions – Often web applications have sophisticated interactions that should be simplified for the user. This isn’t normally a problem on marketing websites, where the main interactions are merely reading or watching content.
- Task completion – Business Web Applications are only used because it helps people complete tasks. They’ve got a job to do and they want to get in and get out. It is essential that you design for these different flows to make your user’s job as easy as possible.
Designing an Application Flow
The quickest possible route.: Learn not only how to optimize for the fewest clicks, but also for a mental model that is quick to understand.
Learn To Follow A Design Process
Take an idea from rough sketches to a polished interface. – When designing a web application, it is critical that you focus on user experience before you start styling the application.
Download a Sample
Not sure if this book is what you need? Get a better idea of what is included it by downloading some sample sections that are from different parts of the book covering everything from how to handle auto-saving to working with lighting in your interface. (Download – 3MB PDF file)
This comprehensive book will give you the necessary information to create a successful app. You’ll learn essential concepts such as:
- Planning out your application’s features
- Building and maintaining a quality user experience
- Learning the proper way to design a user flow
- Mastering the 80/20 approach to typography
- Using color, patterns and textures to enhance your design